Monday, July 2, 2012

Fiber Arts

This is my latest endeavor.  Thread painting.  I have only seen it on t.v.  I decided to just go for it.  It's not great, but it's my first one and I'm very happy with it!

Thread painted wall hanging
This was taken on my porch, under an overhang, and it looks really bright!  I don't think it's that bright, but it is very pretty blue fabric.  The orange part of the flower was thread painted with a non-woven interfacing on the back, on black fabric. I cut that out, put it on green fabric.  I thread painted the stem and leaves. Then I cut out the green fabric, and put the entire thing on the blue background with a satin stitch.  I free motion quilted around the flower, and used a decorative stitch from my sewing machine with variegated thread.  I LOVE the variegated thread stitches!!!!  I really want a machine with more decorative stitches because I think I'd use them a lot.

More photos showing what I described above.


LOVE the decorative stitching with variegated thread!
FMQ
Can you pick out the birds???
I fmq'd some birds in a really pretty thread - it's kind of a clear/shiny thread that picks up colors from the light.  Opalescent?  I think that's the right word.  You can't really see them very well in photos.  Sadly.
This was stretching my imagination.  I need that. I'm not very creative on my own.  I can "copycat" other crafters, but to come up with an actual design and figure it out on my own, not so much.  I got the idea for this flower from the poppy photos I took.  It's quite abstract of course.  Hey, it's my first try - so give myself a break, right? Right!

I had fun with it. It just happened and I don't let that happen very often.

My next project is to sandwich the quilt top I made.  Probably won't happen this afternoon as I have a birthday party to go to. Not looking forward to going out in this heat, but hey, I get to socialize for a little bit.  We'll see if that goes well.....or not.  Sometimes it's me, sometimes, it's me.  Ha.  Gotcha.

Take care.  Enjoy today.  Live. Be happy!  Create.
Martha

No comments: