Sunday, July 22, 2012

Blocks of color and baby quilt

I have two finished quilts.  Yay!  I've also started working on another but haven't got a photo of that.  I do wish my computer were on the same floor as my art room.
So here are the finished quilts.  The first is a baby quilt I made for my niece.  I'm not giving it to her till after she has the baby.  I want to make the trip to see the baby myself.
Baby Quilt Front
This is Benartex fabric.  I don't have the name of it (it's upstairs in the art room). I didn't use all the squares as it's a little girl and some of the squares were just a little too boyish.  I asked my daughter what was the quilt (I made her) that worked the best - was most useful.  She said the smaller one, not the crib size ones.  I made this one quite square. It'll be a good size for wrapping the baby when she's small, and then for the baby to lay on, then to take in the car and they can use it in a stroller or shopping cart or car seat - wherever.







Baby Quilt back
The back of the quilt is yellow fabric with polka dots all over it - in colors that match the front of the quilt.  It's the fabric I got last weekend at the quilt shop sale.  I have lots left over, so I can use it in other projects.
















I also did a larger quilt.  This is another "lap" quilt - I call it that although I don't know what the official size is for a lap quilt.  I do everything by the seat of my pants, ya know.  So I just wing it and hope for the best.  I really love this next quilt a lot - love the colors and the shades of the colors.
Blocks of color quilt

My hubby was holding it up and you can see it goes from just over his head, to his knees.  Well, ok, you can't really SEE it - I cut the knees out.  He's not standing directly facing me, he's at a bit of an angle. I really MUST find another way to take photos of my quilts - someplace to hang them would be nice.  I don't have a clothesline.  But the colors are pretty much spot on in this photo. It's a great size.  I will put it up for sale, but if it doesn't sell quickly, I will probably keep it!


This is also Benartex fabric.  I should have gotten more.  I just really love it!









This is the back.  I did stitch in the ditch and it actually went pretty well.  Mostly because I was VERY careful about putting my squares together and trying my best to have them line up. 



























As you can see, the quilt isn't really heavy.  You can see light through it.  I love it so much!  Oh, sorry, I'm repeating myself now.  LOL

The bad news is, my left arm is killing me.  It hurts from my fingertips to my shoulder.  It happens because of the drop spindle spinning.  The worst pain is in my elbow.  Running from my wrist to my elbow.  I've tried two different rub on arthritis stuff, and I've tried taking 4 aspirin.  I can't really take Tylenol or Advil because it counteracts the other meds I take.  Because of this, I haven't been able to do any spinning. I'm really anxious to ply my two yarns together, but I need to be able to use my arm.  I kept thinking if I just kept doing the spinning, I'd be able to get my arm used to it, but it even kept waking me up last night!  Grrr.

As I said above, I started another quilt. I have 3 bundles of 5" strips, width of fabric, and they've been sitting around for at least a year (maybe a bit longer).  I finally decided to start doing something with them.  I started sewing them together, and I'm loving it.  The only thing is, one of the strips has some writing on it, luckily near the edge, but it's in black marker, on the back, and is visible from the front. I can't do anything with that one but what I am doing is putting the other sets of colors together.  There is a strange reddish brown, a sort of orange-ish red, a dark green, and a gold.  I am going to put most of the strips together, then decide what else I'm going to do.  There was a quilt I saw on Pinterest that gave me a great idea for how to do a strip quilt.  I'm going to do something along those lines I think.  Here is the link to the tutorial on how she did it.  I am not putting a photo up but there ya go.  Mine will be different but similar as I'm always coming up with my own version of everything!  LoL

So that's about it for me for today.  I hope your life is super duper!
Martha

No comments: