Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Crazy Wild Weather and Other Stuff...


The weather has been really strange this winter.  One day it's 60 degrees, the next it starts out in the upper 40s and gets colder during the day.  It's rained, snowed, and been sunny....the cold days are usually sunny, the warm days rainy.  We live in the East for goodness sake.  Where is the hard freeze, and months of cold weather?  We need to kill off the bugs! 

On another note, I've been MIA because I've been putting a LOT of time in on the computer, trying to figure out where to buy those nice cellophane envelope/bags to put my photo cards in.  Geesh, you'd think that would be an easy thing - but the size I need/want, isn't common, and some of the places didn't have much selection, and especially, the size I want.  I had looked at SO many sites, I had to start writing them down so I wouldn't waste time going back and looking again. 

Hubster and I went to Ikea last weekend.  We went looking for a t.v. stand.  I had seen one online that was under $100 and asked him if he liked it.  He said, we'll go look....so off we went on Saturday.  We got into the store and found the section with the t.v. stands, and we were waffling back and forth, finally decided on one that wasn't really our style, but we thought we'd seen them all......till we turned a corner!  We both saw the stand at the same time. It's really NICE and more our style than the more contemporary one we thought we'd have to get.  And.....wait for it.....it was $40 less than the others!  :-)  BIG smiles all around.....till we had to put it together....more on that in a minute.


Isn't this sweet?  It really fits in well.  (I have a really hard time getting Blogger to place my photos where I want them.  It likes to place them at the top of my post....even if I don't want them there)




Putting Ikea furniture together isn't fun.  Hubster is great at setting out all the parts, separating them, and yes, he even follows the directions (of course, it's all stick drawings of the parts but if you're careful and go slow, it works).  Well, don't you know, they put 2 different types of these things you put into the wood that hold the screws in place (I'm sure they have a name but widgets is all we could think of), and Hubster didn't notice there were 2 different sizes - the sizes were NOT distinguishable by just looking at them....so we had the entire cabinet put together, and when it came to the drawer (the very last part) we needed the smaller of the widgets....and they were in another part of the cabinet.  Those little buggers weren't easy to remove either!  We had to take the entire cabinet apart, to get the right size widgets, and put it all back together (which went faster the second time).  It took about 2.5 hours all together.  Hey, it's Ikea......we KNEW it had to be put together.
We also bought a small table for my craft room.  I had to move the large table out of there, then I didn't have anything to put anything on!  I needed a small table.  They had a table top they were selling for $5.00!  We got that and the 4 legs ($3.50 each).  The entire table cost less than $20!  Not bad!  The table has a nice slick surface so I can also use it to hold my quilts while quilting them, and they will slide right across without getting stuck there.  Should work great!

I have 3 projects going now....I have the newest Baby Wolf about half way threaded for the pinwheels.  I have my project I need to weave off on the big loom (Leclerc) because someone is supposed to come this weekend to buy it (YaY!) and I want to get that piece woven off instead of cutting it off and wasting the warp.  I also have a quilt started - well, I have all the charm squares all set up in the order I want them.  The table isn't quite large enough to add the extras I want to add, so I guess I'll have to do it on the floor....and haven't started moving them down there yet.  I had the Reindeer Games that I'd picked up before Christmas, but I couldn't find any fabric I liked to do sashing with.  I finally decided to go back to the quilt shop to see if I could find another Reindeer Games, but I couldn't.  I did, however, find another Charm Pack to go with the Reindeer Games, so I am incorporating that Charm Pack into the first, and it's coming out great!  Photos on that another day.

Off I go to start my day.  Lots of weaving to do to get the big loom ready to leave and go to it's new home.  Had a nibble or two on the other BW but haven't gotten anything solid yet.  Sigh....I hate to see it go.  There are expenses that have to be paid.  I have to pay the person I bought the new BW from another $500 before the end of this month.  And Hubster got the bills in for the doctor's visits that he made in December when he felt something wasn't right.  I felt it was nerves and stress, but he was sure it was his heart (every test came back perfect) so there it is - a lot of money to the ER.  Better safe than sorry. But there goes the hope of putting some of that money toward my new Janome sewing machine I'm hoping for.  That's ok, I have a machine, it sews, so I am ok with it.

Have yourself a great day, and think positive!
Martha

1 comment:

Judee said...

OK! I love Ikea but it is too far away:( Cute story.