Thursday, July 8, 2010

More of the Black Eyed Susan quilt saga.....

So the story of the BES quilt begins at our local quilt shop called, That Little Quilt Shop.  I walked in one day, and I saw this lap size quilt hanging on the wall.  It was made with purples and batiks.  I love purple.  I love batik.  My quilt is not purple (although it does show up in there).  I have NO idea why it's not purple since I loved the one I saw and I love purple.  Who knows why I do what I do????

Ok, so I found out that the quilt was made with Quilt Smart innerfacing, found here: www.quiltsmart.com
I couldn't find directions, but I got directions from Roselle at the store. Thank you Roselle!  :-)  I used fat quarters I had in my stash for the back ground.  I was iffy as to whether the way I was going about doing it was sensible, but I went with my heart.  I don't have a computer program to set up my quilt designs.  So I just use my imagination and I go with my heart.

As I said before, I fell in love with the batik.  Unfortunately, I did not buy more of it and can no longer find it.

In a previous post, I posted the quilt before it had outside borders on it.
Here are some photos of the quilt now that it's been sandwiched and quilted on the Long Arm Tin Lizzie machine at TLQS (the store mentioned above).  I did the fmq myself, and have only practiced on the machine one other time, during the class.     
This is the top.








And this is the back.



























You can see the fmq in the back, along with the gap with no quilting on it.  This is where I plan on appliqueing the butterflies.   I call my fmq pattern "loopy lasso."  Hehe.

Here is a close up of the fmq.  My loopy lasso!

















Now my decision has to be what to use for my binding, whether to use some of the new fabric I bought.....














Or, use the left over fabric from the backing............I'm really leaning toward the backing fabric....I love the batik above sooooo much - its a partner to the batik I used on the petals of the flowers.

I have some other photos, but they will go in another post.  Its after 8 and I'm going to go knit..........

1 comment:

Judee said...

Great job,cuz! If you want your quilting to show better, use a darker thread. But you probably know that already. Keep up the great work!