Saturday, March 13, 2010

TDI volunteering

Today I took Evan to the library for the "Reading to the dogs" day.  Second Saturday of each month at Culpeper County Library.  It was sweet.  There was one little girl there with her younger sister.  They gravitated toward the dog next to me, Beauty.  She's more settled than Evan is.  Evan was really more hyper than I'd have liked.  Anway, the little girl wasn't reading.  Betty Ann asked her why, and she said something but I couldn't hear her.  After a few minutes, I told her, go get a book because Evan hasn't ever done this before, and he needs someone to read to him.  Well, don'tcha know, she did. :-)  I told her even if she didn't want to read, if she would just show him the pictures.  When she got the book and sat down, I had evan on the floor and was holding him in a sit position.  He was looking all over the place and watching everything but she opened the book and I started reading the first page --- then she read the rest of the book!  I told her thank you and told her she did a really great job.  She was sweet.  Then another little girl came along and fell in love with Evan.  I picked him up and she read to us. Funny enough, she read a book about art.  Nice!  She was very good, and read the book well.  She spent the rest of the time (about a half hour??) petting Evan.  I think it might have gotten to him a little bit because she was vigorously scratching his head, which he likes, but then he acted like he had enough.  I told her to scratch his back instead.  He liked that. :-) 

Tony came and got him from me and brought him home.  I went to the 145 Art Studio to make sure Jinnie's and my names were on the list for Tuesday.  Mine was, but had her add Jinnie's for Tues too.  Also found out where we can park on Tues. 

Then I went on to the meeting at Ledos.  I wasn't that late, that was good.  One of the co-directors mentioned that if anyone wanted to be the new director, that she wouldn't mind.  It happened that we were parked next to each other in the parking lot, and we were the last ones out of the restaurant along with Margo.  When we went to the trucks I asked her about it.  I told her that maybe I wasn't ready to take on the entire thing right now, and she said that in Dec things would change for her at work (more work) so she'd probably need to give it up then.  I told her, if she had anything that she wanted me to do meantime so that I could get an idea of what it consisted of, I'd do it for her.  She said ok and would keep me in mind.  I don't want to jump in cuz I'm not even sure that Evan is liking the volunteering right now.....so I'm going to have to continue to go to the Baptist home and the retirement home at least a couple of times a month to get him used to it again - when we originially started he was so excited to do it.  Now, it doesn't seem he's as excited. Or, is it me?

Another note about this is that Jane Waylan saw us and said that she has had another request from someone in Warrenton (?) that is interested in getting into the hospital to train, so she will set it up for both of us to go the same time.  Maybe that will entice her to do it sooner rather than later......which is the feeling I got when I went into the office that day.

I also sent a resignation letter to Liz Hanson because I'm not going to volunteer at the hospital anymore.  If I'm going to do volunteering, I'm going to do it with my dog.  Thats where my interest really lies.  I am not that excited about the hospital anyway.

So this coming week, I have to find a copy of the paperwork that got sent to TDI and if I didn't keep a copy (which I don't think I did - bummer) then maybe they will send me a copy.  I'm hoping.  Or I'll have the vet clinic fill out another one.

I may also try to work with Gabbi on training.  I know there's no way we'd be ready for a test in April which is when the next one is.

One more thing I found interesting was that Margot, Betty Ann, and Jane were talking about starting their own place - a Doggie Day Care, training, and something else place.  That would be interesting to be in on.  I guess maybe if I want to get more engrossed in this whole thing, that maybe I'll have to really start getting more involved with the local stuff and get going on all this doggie stuff. 

Off to make a list of what I need to do for next week.  And a separate post about my quilting adventures.

No comments: