Saturday, March 19, 2011

So far, so good.....

The reed is sleyed.  The reed is on the loom.  The yarn is facing the correct direction (yeah, ask me why I am so proud of that....).  I will thread the heddles tomorrow...............I hope.  

I am doing such a little at a time because if I push and push, I will screw up.

Ask me how I know that!  Yeah.  Well, I went upstairs today to finish off the threading of the reed.  As I was counting threads to tie them off, I noticed that I had 2 threads in one slot.  Not the plan.  Ok, so I moved them over by one.  That was probably about 30 threads.  I threaded some more.  Noticed I'd done it again!  That made me check the previous threading I'd done on another day.  They were fine.....except for the space of two slots that didn't have ANY yarn in them at all...........right in the center of the reed!  How the heck did I miss that????  Yeah, so, I was extremely careful from that point on.  Luckily, there weren't any messed up in the beginning of the reed, since I had about 2/3rds of it already threaded.  

This is really making me respect all of those people who weave every day.  Who dress looms for a living.  Who teach those of us that aren't as adept at doing this stuff as others, and have to go back and correct and correct. 

Taking a class would be nice.  Alas, that's not going to happen any time soon.  Unless I win the lottery.  Or get left a huge inheritance.  Of course, I'd have to know someone with money to accomplish the latter, and that, I don't.

At any rate, this part of the hard work is done.  Tomorrow I gather the heddles, and hopefully thread the pattern correctly.  Then pray that I can get the yarn wrapped onto the loom the right way.  This white 5/2 yarn is VERY sticky and it is making this an interesting  project so far.  So we shall see.
 

1 comment:

Quiet Quilter said...

Little steps go a long way...keep it up!