Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Finished projects!

Okie dokie!  I finally have 2 finished projects I can crow about!  :-)
First, the pinwheel quilt that was "easy" to do, although once the pinwheels were done, sewing them together wasn't the easiest thing for me.  I am NOT good at piecing!  The quilt has a few bloopers, but they are fixed and it's not going anywhere.  Every project I do is a learning experience for me.  The yellow is actually a pretty gold.  Camera issues.  Operator issues. The quilt is laying over a chair. 


Here is the Noah's Ark Precious Moments quilt panel.

Above is the top.  
Below is the back.  I free motion quilted this on my home sewing machine.  Its a small, basic Janome.



















This is what the panel looked like originally:



See that border?  I hated that border.  Don't ask why - I can't tell ya.  But I felt like it just wasn't right for this quilt.  That's when I decided to add my own border in colors I wanted, and I think the difference is huge.  You actually lose the print in the original but with what I added, you can actually appreciate the panel more.  I'm so glad I did it this way.  I will have to figure out what to do with the border I cut off.  I like the little animals.  I just didn't like them around the panel.  

Since I got those two projects done, when I was in town getting my massage, I stopped by the little quilt shop, and I found some really cute cuts of fabric.  I didn't buy yardage ~ I'd have liked to, but I didn't.  I just bought FQs and a couple of 1/3 yard cuts.  But I loved the fabrics and wanted them.  
Then, the owner tells me, the Moda charm packs I've been begging her to order, came in, but they are in the shop up in the other town.  Wow.  Ok.  So after my massage I had to come back to this town anyway to pick up my med refills.  I did that and drove downtown and went to the studio where she sells Berninas and art supplies, etc.  The young lady that works there is so fun.  So we went back and opened the shipping box, and viola!  There was all this wonderful fabric!  I wanted to take the entire box with me.  Alas, I couldn't afford it all.  I HAD to be good.  But I did get 2 of the charm packs I've been wanting.  Too bad I don't have the time to go make my brothers quilt that I wanted to make him.  His birthday is the 12th.  The quilt will be late.....oh well.  Considering I don't ever get anything from him for MY birthday (or any other holiday), I won't worry about it.  He's lucky he'll be getting a quilt from me!  I haven't decided what I'll do yet - since my pinwheels weren't done very well.  I may try the traditional method of pinwheels and see if they come out any better.  We'll see...........he may just get squares sewn together.  But I want to use the charm packs I have (I have 2 patterned packs and the 2 neutral packs).   I'll have to look thru my patterns and see if there is something easy there that I can make.

I have some other photos that I want to take, but haven't yet, to share here.  Today, I have to get Evan bathed and groomed to go volunteer at the hospital.  Since we've been going on walks in the park and to dog classes, he's not staying as clean as he used to.  So off to bathe him and get him cleaned up, then do a little housework, then get me cleaned up, then off to volunteer.  This day will fly by.

Thanks for visiting. 
Gratefully,
Martha




2 comments:

Quiet Quilter said...

Oh, how nice to finish something, and you finished 2! I think you were right about the panel. The outside animals would look good in another quilt with alternating blocks of some sort.

MarthaVA said...

Thanks! Yeah, it always feels good to finish something. I am thinking of doing something with the outside animals....but my daughter has cut me off from making any more blankets - for now! LOL. I almost thought I could make a pillow or even frame some of the animals....we'll see.
Thanks for looking in and commenting.