Friday, July 29, 2016

Moved In

We've been moved in for about 6 weeks now....however, it hasn't been easy.  Lots of things went wrong with this house once we moved in.

I will not go into detail because it is just too much and too boring.  Instead, I'm getting back on track with my weaving and other crafts, in the basement I now have all to myself.  It's sort of like having a house to myself!  It works for me!

I finally got started on weaving again, once I had my basement studio settled.  It was a great relief for me to get back to it!  I really missed it, since my weaving stuff was some of the first stuff I packed up back in May.  Or was it April?  Gosh, all I know is, it was a long time ago!

Here are three new pink scarves that I have woven.  I wove them on my rigid heddle loom because it's easy to warp and easy to do small projects on, although I do wish I had another small floor loom to weave on.  My arms get tired on the RH loom!

I took lots of pictures so I could share my method of warping and one of my favorite new tools which is a hack of a pot lid holder I got from IKEA (I actually bought two of them!).

The loom with the pot lid holder at the other end of 2 tables - an old dining room table and a small IKEA table at the end, turned sideways.  It makes the perfect length scarf (I haven't measured....if someone wants to know, I'd be glad to measure).


Below is the pot lid holder that I spread out - you can adjust it as tight, or loose, as you want to.  It's all metal and the pegs are smooth and you can clamp it onto the (IKEA) table very easily.  This is one large plastic clamp.  This way, the warp spreads out and is more evenly spaced.  When you use one single peg, as you move across the heddle, the yarns will be different lengths when you're done.  This way, your warp is more likely to be the same length. 


When I'm done warping, I detach the RH loom from the stand, and I set it on the table. I start winding the warp onto the back beam, while it's still attached to the pegs on the other end.  I use my hand to make some tension.   

I use small, vinyl blind slats that I cut to lengths.  There are some that are the same length as the width of the loom.  Then I have some that are just wide enough for the scarves I like to do.  These are the shorter ones.
As I'm winding, the loom moves along the table, and below you can see where it's almost up to the pegs (pot lid holder hack). 


When the loom catches up to the pegs, I then lift the yarn off the pegs.  To be safe, you should do a loop in your yarn to keep it from falling through the reed, but because I had so little yarn, I didn't do that (therefore, no photo).  I just hold it and walk back to the stand and set the loom on the stand, and tighten it.


Below, you can see where I use rubber bands to hold the dowel that is the rear rod, in place.  This way, my tension when I tie on, is the same all the way across.  If the rod is drooping while I'm trying to tie on, it gets complicated.  I don't like complicated. 


Below you can see where the yarn and ribbons are either two in a slot or two in a hole (most of them).  Because you need one in each slot and hole, you have to move the ones that are two to a hole or slot, to the hole or slot next to it. 



Below you can see where there is one yarn in a slot, and one in a hole, the width of the heddle. 

Once this is done, you can tie onto the front rod.  Again, I secure with the rubber bands so that I can ensure the ties are even across.




Below is where I tied onto the front rod.  I tie on and then I check to see if the tension is the same all across.  When all are tied, and the tension is the same, it's time to get weaving!


Weaving!
As you may be able to see above, I only used 2 ribbons in this warp.  The other yarn is either acrylic with sparkle (the dark pink on either end), eyelash yarn (I only had enough to use one length in the warp in the center), and light pink cotton yarn.  Each scarf is completely different.

The scarf above is warped with Peaches and Cream cotton.  I used ribbon, ribbon yarn, cotton yarn, tencel, and cording in the weft.  It gives it lots of texture.  It was interesting to weave with these items as weft as I've never experimented with these before.

The scarf above is warped with mostly ribbon and cording, and ribbon yarn, and cotton yarn in a couple of places. Mostly ribbon and ribbon yarn though, and that was fun!  I really like it. I had a slight problem when I warped the loom though - I hadn't warped it in awhile, and it seems when that is the case, I tend to warp it backwards.  So I lost some weaving length in this scarf.

Above is the third scarf I made.  I used ribbon and yarn in this, with a bit of eyelash yarn.  This is the scarf I wove from the warp I show in the photos at the top of the post.  This one I wound on the correct way and I used cotton in the weft.  I love the fringe in the scarves with the ribbon warps.

All three scarves are fun to wear.

Why pink?  Because the real estate agent asked me for a pink scarf.  I am going to weave a few more, because I have a ton of pink all of a sudden. I went a little nuts buying pink once I was asked to weave a pink scarf.

The real estate agent is a breast cancer survivor.  She was diagnosed with the BRCA gene.  She made the brave decision to have her breasts removed and have reconstructive surgery.  Many of her family have died from breast cancer, before the gene was discovered and the options were available.

I have a lot of pink choices and plan on making many more of these scarves and am hoping they sell well.  Support the boobies!

That's about it for this blog post.  I need to get another scarf warped, and keep weaving!

Thanks for checking in and reading. I always appreciate it.  I love good comments too, so please, feel free to comment.  :-)

Always,
Martha

No comments: