Sunday, August 9, 2015

Summer Days

Hi there.  Happy August.  This August has been a bit different from most in the past.  It's actually been not very August-like at all, as far as weather.  Cooler than normal, and so far, a couple of beautiful, low-humidity days.  Very unusual indeed.  I hope this doesn't mean September will be awful.....

I haven't been doing much as far as photography, but I have been back to weaving and spinning.  The spinning isn't anything special, just the mixed BFL I am working on in order to make a new shawl.

The latest weaving I've done is of a very spring/summer style skinny scarf.  I used lots of funky yarns, which I learned, were very sticky to use in the warp.  I used a few bits of cotton also which did make it a bit easier.  I used cotton, tencel, silk, and I think a cotton/linen blend (no label).  It started out very spaced apart and very loose.



When I finished the scarf, I wanted to see how it would turn out if I stuck it in a mesh laundry bag, then put it in the washer and dryer.



There is still some lacyness to it.  That's not a word that the computer recognized, but it is my word.  It's not nearly as lacy as it was when I made it.  However, I like the way it turned out.  I'm good with it.

This scarf will be for sale in my Etsy shop soon.


You can see the slits I've made in this scarf and how I've threaded the ends through the slits.  The slits make the scarf fun to wear without worry it'll slide off.  It's a perfect scarf for someone who loves to wear them as an accessory.















I have another one on the rigid heddle loom already.  This time, it's autumnal colors, will be all cotton and tencel with no fun yarns, and will be narrower.

I've also been losing weight.  I started about 9 weeks ago, and have dropped 16 lbs.  That's about 2 lbs a week.  I have to say, however, that it hasn't been easy or quick. I realize that quick is not the right way to lose.  I am very impatient - when I put enough effort into something, I want instant results.  That's not the best way to lose weight though, and I know that, in my brain.

I have cut out SO much of the bad food I used to eat.  I'm not eating bread, biscuits, rice, pasta, or anything that has flour in it.  I'm not even using flour made of other things at this point.  Maybe in the future, when I've reached my goal weight, I will learn to bake with other flour, but not now. I don't want the temptation of goodies sitting around and tempting me (like muffins or whatever I may bake with different flour).

One thing that has bothered me is that I have cut out SO much of the bad food I was eating; french fries, chocolate chip cookies from Panera (if I eat a salad, I can cheat with a cookie, right?  Wrong!), brownies, cake, sandwiches, burgers with buns, and candy....lots of candy.  I thought that not eating all that food, would have me dropping the pounds by the tens.......but it hasn't happened that way.  It's extremely frustrating, but I believe I've finally gotten past that.  I realize now, no matter what I've cut out, I have to move more, and eat less, and eat better, and that the weight falling off me isn't going to help me in the long run.

I know that when I reach my goal weight, I will not be able to fall back into eating the way I used to.  No matter what, I'll never be able to enjoy the food I used to.  However, I'm learning to make healthy food, and instead of everything being boring and tasteless, I know now that I can use things to flavor the food, without adding a bunch of calories.

When I started this new way of eating, I had 107 lbs to lose.  I'm down by 16, and to reach my first major goal weight, I have to lose another 22 lbs.  That's a LOT of weight just to reach my first goal.

Interestingly enough, I started using an app on my iPad to track what I was eating and my exercise.  When I started doing that, I stopped losing weight.  The app told me to eat less than 1400 calories a day.  I was hungry, I was hyper-focused on everything I ate, and I was hyper-focused on the exercise/steps/etc.  It stopped me in my tracks as far as losing.  Go figure.

I stopped using the app about a week later, and I've lost a pound and a half.  I'm staying away from the app, and I'm not counting calories.

I'm not following a specific diet. I'm eating lots of proteins, and a lot fewer carbs.  The carbs I am eating, come from veggies and fruit, and more natural things.

I'm eating some potatoes, but only once or twice a week, and usually yams.

I'm also struggling to keep enough fiber in my diet.  I'll let you figure out the rest of that story....

So, I'm doing better.  No one that knows me, has noticed the weight loss.  When you're obese, more than 100 lbs more than you should weigh, twice the weight you should weigh, those first 20 lbs or so, aren't noticeable.  I know people will start noticing soon enough.  For me, however, I've already noticed a change in my body, and also a change in my energy. Though I still feel tired most days, I feel more able to deal with everything, and walking has become so much easier - I'm not huffing and puffing.  My allergy symptoms have improved though they aren't totally gone - the weather still affects them.  My nails have become stronger - for the first time since I was pregnant and taking iron pills, my finger nails are growing.  It's weird.  I have to cut them!  They seem a bit stronger.  My nails have always been really soft.

So, there's that. I am not going to give in or give up this time.  Last time I lost weight and exercised, I lost 40 lbs, then had a major heart attack that killed me - luckily, when my heart stopped, I was already at the hospital.  It's always in the back of my mind that it happened, and praying that I haven't screwed myself up enough by gaining all that weight, plus more, back and didn't take care of myself for the last 8 years......I sure as heck do NOT want a repeat!

That's about it for this post. I'll be back later this month with the next scarf and anything else I can pull together.
Take care,
Martha

No comments: