Thursday, July 23, 2015

What's New? I'm On A Roll !!!

Hello!
I have gotten my mojo back!  Yippee!!!!

I'm weaving, sewing, washing fleece, dyeing fleece, and spinning again!

I hate slumps.  However, it seems that once I've worked my way through the slump, I seem to do better on the other side of it.  Nothing wrong with that.

I finished weaving my black and white cloth.  The warp was cotton, the weft was all tencel in black and white.  It was a learning experience for me.  I've woven with tencel before, and I know how it feels when it's finished.  However, I haven't sewn cloth made with tencel, and that was a learning experience for sure!  That stuff can challenge a person with good sewing skills, let alone someone who manages.

  
I tried to get good photos, but on the gray background, it looks a bit washed out.
Five yards.  I only used 4 in the sewing so I have those "plain" sections left over.  I can always combine them with something else to make a new project.
Here is the finished shirt.
 

This is the first time I didn't have to add fabric to the side seams.
The tough part, was sewing the hem.  Holy cow, that thing gave me some problems!  I got it done though.  I'm pretty proud of this one. It's much prettier in person.

I do wish I could get my husband to take better photos.....

I did a special technique on the shoulders.  It's fun to wear and fun for others to notice it.

 

I took the fringe ends, and tied knots in the ends of them, then sewed them by machine, onto the back from the front.  This made the shoulders be open.  The photo on the left, the fringe is much longer than the photo of the right.   Again, photographer could have gotten better shots.

I've been doing some spinning also. I started some mixed BFL, which is lovely.  No pic right at the moment.

I've also been dyeing fleece.  I bought 2 of these really nice BFL/Wenslydale fleeces from a wonderful shepherd on Facebook.  The fleeces are really soft, and crimpy, and make pretty lock spun yarn.
Fleece:

Isn't it gorgeous?  Since it comes straight from the sheep, it's dirty.  It has hay bits, grass bits, and dirt.  Hey, sheep live outside, what do you expect?  Though I have to say, this is some of the cleanest fleece I've ever gotten.

I did dye some of it.  Here is the yarn I spun from what I dyed.  I didn't do a good job on the dyeing and the colors are sort of pastel.  More so than I like.  Supposed to be purple, gold and teal.
 

However, it is a really pretty yarn. I haven't washed it or set it yet, so these photos are the unfinished yarn.

I also did some solar dyeing.  I did gold (yeah, I love this gold color) and spruce.  However, I felted the gold fiber.  I will have to use it in another project, and dye some more of it gold.

I can hardly wait to dive into this and spin it!

I have lots of other fiber that is commercially prepared, which also needs to be dyed.  That will come.  This solar dyeing is quite fun.  It has to be quite hot out, and I have to leave the jars in a black plastic bag, for 2 days.  The variations in the dye taking to the fiber is fun too.

Well, that's about all the news I have for today.  Time to go to the gym (yuck).  Have a great day and I hope you enjoyed all the photos.

Martha


No comments: