Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Baby It's Cold Outside!

Today, we have a high of 30 degrees.  Last week it was in the 60s.  This Sunday is supposed to be near 70.  Of course, I'll believe it when I see it.  It's certainly hot tea season!

I finished my Mod 4 Journey yarn.  I think it's colorful, and happy looking. It has many layers, like me.  I core spun some violet fiber onto a worsted weight commercial yarn.  Then I spun a thick and thin, and core spun that onto a thin commercial core.  Then I plied the two together, and plied with a shiny, metallic, sequined yarn.

I've been thinking more about loving myself.  It takes a LOT of work for me at 58 years old, to change the negative self-talk, and work on loving myself.  Which also includes taking better care of myself.

There is a challenge on FB in the Circle Weaving group, for creating something shiny and holiday-ish with our circle looms.  The circle loom is something we receive as part of the Journey course.   Here is mine. I took Firestar - a very shiny, sparkly nylon - which I hand dyed, added Angelina and a shiny metallic sequin commercial yarn.  I wove on my circle loom, then pulled it off and pulled it into a (sort of) circle.  It's supposed to be an ornament.  It doesn't show up as shiny in photos as it is in person.  But there it is.



On other news, we had a real scare last Friday.  Hubby went out to get the mail, and on the walk down the driveway, notice something wasn't quite right.....he saw a haze, then realized, it was smoke.  The leaves between our property, and the neighbor's property, were on fire!  Somehow, something the neighbor had burned, started a fire.  He swears that the only thing he burned, was the Sunday prior.  I don't know if it's possible for something to fester that long....
The photos below were of the scene after the firemen arrived.  It took them FOREVER to get here - at least 30 minutes.  You can sort of see one of the smaller trucks, which carries water, and they were in the back field spraying it down with water.  These guys were the brush fire guys.
 Below, is the fire extinguisher that I was grateful I remembered was in the basement near the wood burning stove.  As hubby was trying to figure out how to put the fire out, because the 2 hoses together wouldn't reach far enough, I ran in the house and came out with this.  The wind was blowing quite hard, and this helped squelch some of the fire and kept it from spreading on our side, till the firemen got here.
 This is only one section of the fence that got burned, and had to be chopped down in order for the firefighters to get to the neighbor's property quickly with the water, from our property.  See those pine trees just beyond the fence?  That's the property line.
Below, the stuff you see beyond our fence, is the neighbor's shed and property.  It burned about 10 feet from the fence on each side.  On his side, there were 2 vehicles parked, and the fire was literally within about 5 feet of his vehicles.  That would have been REALLY bad....
 Here I'm standing in the same place as the photo above, but looking into the back pasture.  It burned about halfway down that fence line.  The fence back there is high tensile wire, with wooden posts.  Not as much damage was done to the fence back there.
 These are the good men that volunteer out here at the Orange, VA fire station, and the Mine Run, VA fire station.  The truck on the left, is the truck that carries a lot of water.  The smaller trucks had to keep coming back to this truck to refill with water to continue to put the fire out.

When people ask me why we don't go on vacation, this is one of the reasons.  If we hadn't been here, that fire would have come over to the barn, where the horses are sheltered, and all the hay for winter is stored.  The neighbor wasn't home.  If we hadn't been here, that fire would have spread, because of the dried leaves all over the ground (you can see them in the photo above) and because the wind was really blowing that day....right in the direction of our home.  

I'm grateful that it wasn't as bad as it could have been.  I do have to say though, that I freaked out.  I was having panic attacks, and I think I was in a bit of shock.   I really thought we were going to lose the barn, at least.  

The lesson learned is, we will always have fire extinguishers here.  We never burn any trash.  But the neighbors do.  There is nothing to keep this type of thing from happening again.  The responsible neighbor is renting, so we don't expect to get reimbursed by him.  It will really shock me if he does.  He tried to say it was the home-owner's responsibility - but it's not.  He started the danged fire.  It's HIS fault.  He wasn't even home when this all took place.  If it wasn't for us being here, he would have also lost both his vehicles.  They would have exploded.  And his house was just on the other side of the vehicles. 

Stay safe.  Be prepared.
Take care.  Thanks for looking.
Martha

No comments: