Friday, December 20, 2013

Art with Heart

So here I am again, apologizing for not keeping up better with posting.  There's been a LOT going on. 
On December 11th, 2013, we welcomed Grand Daughter #2 into the world.  Little Sydney is adorable, and she's teeny weenie.  No photos as I don't really have any good ones yet.  With GD#1, I got lots of photo ops, but not so much with #2 so far.  I'm hoping Christmas will allow me to get a few. 

I was also in a slump - a creative slump as well as just a general slump.  I'm back now though!  Although, Blogger seems to be giving me some issues, so I am hoping this post does get posted!

I started making dream catchers.  I've always loved dream catchers, and I did make a few that were from kits a few years ago.  When I wondered what to do with some of my art yarn, I decided the yarns would work wonderfully with the dream catchers - since the fiber arts theme is really fulfilling my dreams.  I crocheted the first dream catchers, and they are smaller, and priced in the range of being smaller wall art.  My larger dream catchers are not from spin yarn, but from roving/top that I have on hand, along with feathers and beads and sinew or linen or yarn that I have on hand, for the webs.  I'm really enjoying the creativity it allows me to have, to build each dream catcher differently.  These are each one-of-a-kind.  OOAK as the shortcut that is now widely used.

Here are some of the dream catchers I have available in my ETSY shop. 

Green Dream Catcher




Neutral Dream Catcher
The top one is 10" wide
The bottom one is 14" wide.

I'm not sure how else to photograph them  to make them more appealing. I've tried taking them outside, but the background is too busy.  So here they are, hanging on a white wall - because that's the only color wall I have in my house!  Well, the bathroom wall is turquoise but there isn't enough natural light in there, to take decent photos.  :-)

I just placed a large order with Ashland Bay for a lot of add-ins type of fibers.  I hope to get busy dyeing those after Christmas.

Oh!  More news!  I have a new drum carder, so I'll be working on making batts.  Below is a batt that I made as a sample for me to try.  It is 1.9 ounces, and I've already spun it up.  I was told, however, that I should be able to get 4-5 ounces of fiber on this drum carder, which means, I'll be trying that soon! 

Batt

I'm preparing for the April show in Powhatan, VA.  End of April.  I only had a month to prepare last time, and this time, I'm hoping to be better prepared, and have many more items for sale along with fiber and add-ins, both dyed and undyed.  I'm also going to start working on spinning more yarns!

We went on a drive last weekend to check on the yarns I'd sold to a yarn store.  The drive is beautiful going out there, all mountains and winding roads, and farms and all sorts of abodes.  I love my new camera.  I took lots of photos.  Then this week, I saw this saying posted, and I absolutely fell in love with it.  Using PicMonkey, I used one of my photos and the saying, and made this to put in a frame in my office/studio:


That's about it from me. Short and sweet.  If you're looking for my shop, click HERE
Thanks,
And Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in case I don't get back before those holidays happen!

No comments: