Friday, November 22, 2013

Sale!

I'm holding a 10% off sale in my ETSY shop!  Go check it out.  Enter the code 10off and you will get 10% off your purchase.

Yesterday was a day of experimenting.  I had purchased a 2 lb bag of locks/wool from a vendor at the Fall Fiber Festival in Orange in October.  I started going through the bag, picking the locks out.  This is supposed to be Leicester Longwool.  It's not very long staple though.  That's okay, I can spin it.  I planned on using it to dye and also to make dream catchers with.  That's a lotta wool!  It wasn't very expensive and that's why I bought it.  It was already washed too, which is something I'm not good at. Yet.  I plan on getting good at all the steps (well, maybe except the actual shearing of the sheep).

Anyway, back to dyeing.....I wanted to try a method I hadn't tried before, which is in the turkey roaster, I poured about a gallon plus about a third of another gallon of water.  My water has to come from the jugs of water in the basement since we have no running water down there (and we don't have a sink either).  Then I put the woo in to soak, and after about 30 minutes, I put the dry dye on top by sprinkling each color of blue that I have - which is about 6 different blues!  I thought it was going to be really pretty with all different shades of blue.....until I realized there was enough dye in there to dye about a pound of wool!  WAY too much dye.  UGH.  I'm so upset.....

So I put more wool on top, but I don't want ALL the wool to be blue.....

It still didn't clear the water.....still dark dark blue.

So, I took all the wool out, and I put some other fibers in there - some silk, some Firestar, and some Snow Mountain (the last 2 are nylon and soak up the dye like crazy).  The Firestar came out SO pretty - a beautiful shade of teal almost.  Of course, it's not dry yet....because it was suggested to me that I put everything back into the dye pots with water and citric acid, for about 30 minutes (I left it a bit longer) and then turn it off, and leave it sit overnight to cool.  I had to ask for help on FB because I was at my wit's end!  I had tried to rinse the fiber, and it just kept running dark blue...and I was afraid that wool I had used, was going to felt. It might still have, or might still felt, but at least it's not a very expensive experiment.

The other thing is, I should never mix fibers in a dye pot....I can hardly tell the Firestar from the Snow mountain.  And somehow the silk got a bit beat up in there......

Today, I will go and get the wool and fiber out of the pots and rinse it, and we'll see what happens.....

At least it's going to be warmer today - near 60 supposedly.  On Sunday it's supposed to only be in the 30s though.  What crazy weather we are having, not consistent at all. 

Meanwhile, I'm working on some ideas in my brain, and we all know what that means.  hahaha. 

That's my check in for this week.  I hope you're all ready for the upcoming holidays.  I'm not.  Still have to find a couple of things for the grandkid (and grandkid to be).  Daughter is due on Dec 11th with our second grand daughter, and she's more than ready to pop that kid out!  lol  December is going to be quite busy.

Take care.  Do what you love.  Love what you do.
Martha

No comments: