Thursday, October 17, 2013

Opportunity Knocking.....

I went for my monthly massage today.  I LOVE my massage therapist. She's amazing, she's a lovely person, she's so knowledgeable about SO many things, and she's passionate about baseball!  She's just the best.
She is located in a building that is about 30 minutes from my home.  The building is old, but it's kept up all right.
As I walk into the building I usually stop to read the bulletin board in the entry-way.  There was a sheet up there with information on it about availability of space for rent in the building.  They offer heat/AC (a must for me - I MUST be cool in summer), high speed internet, and one month free (not sure how long a lease would have to be signed for in order to get that).  To top it off.....the rent is only $250/month!  I mean, seriously? 
I believe in putting things out to the Universe.  The Universe usually answers my requests.....the only one I've had issues with, is winning the lottery!  Go figure.  The other things usually turn out just fine - parking spaces, no traffic around me, little things like that.....
I can't remember when I started wanting to find a craft that I'd love, and not get tired of doing, and to have a shop from which I could sell goods that I make and supplies to make the things like I make.  I mean, I'm 57 years old - and I have been dreaming this at least since I was a kid.....it's been a LIFE-LONG dream for sure.
Up to now, I didn't think there was any way for it to come true.
Of course, my hubby is the income person.  I'm the spend person.....and I don't like it that way.
I've tried to sell my goods on Etsy, and on my own website.  Neither has been successful.
There are 2 other shops in the area, and when I say, in the area, I mean, within 40 miles of where I live (I'm kind of in the middle).  One is North, and she lives on the edge of a mountain, and it's quite tricky getting to her studio.  Her studio isn't really a selling studio, she and her daughter mostly work out of the studio, though if you want lessons or to buy fiber, she is available to sell to you or give you lessons.  The other studio is South of me, also on the side of a mountain - and a tricky driveway to get up.  This studio IS a good studio to go to for lessons and weaving yarns, but she doesn't carry much fiber.....
Both these ladies are older than I am.
Both of them have their studios at their home.
Putting a building up on our property would cost about $13,000.  Maybe more.  That's just for a small building.  I can't really advertise open hours, but I could put a sign out. 
In this building where the space is for rent, I'm not sure I can put a sign up.  I also am not sure how much traffic I'd get.  I don't know what it takes to have a business in that county, either.

On the other hand, if I got a space at the building for rent, I'd have to drive there every day I want to be open....which in winter, could be tricky.  Of course, if the roads are that bad, no one would be out shopping - whether it be at the for rent building, or here at the house.

Oye.  This is a dream for me.....but I fear, only a dream.  It is an idea, growing in my head and heart.

Dear hubby is skeptical, and he worries.  Money going out hand over fist, to run my business, when I'm not making much, isn't a good thing....if only my online business was going better.

Well, I just needed to write this all down because it's in my head, and even though I talked to hubby, bless his heart, it's not something he's going to think is a good idea.............

Well, that's my post for today............
Thanks for listening to my dreams...............

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

WOW! That rent price is fabulous! I think it is meant to happen! <3

bspinner said...

Good lucky with what ever you decide to do. The rent is a great bargin thats for sue.