Monday, May 27, 2013

If I build it, will they come?

My business isn't doing very well. I'm not a patient person, so that's part of it.  I don't know what else to do, to put myself "out there."  It's really difficult, in my opinion, to sell something like fiber - which I think people like to touch and feel and see in person - online.  Then, I see all the other people who do it and are successful at it, and wonder, "what am I doing wrong?"

I dunno.  As I said, I'm impatient so maybe that's it.

Hubby and I looked at sheds a couple of days ago.  These aren't any old sheds.  These are really nice sheds, sheds that insulation and walls and electric can be added to, sheds that could be used to store equipment in, that I could work in, that would be a nice space, all my own.  They are nice on the outside, and with a little work, would be very nice on the inside as well.

If I build it, will they come? 

If I want to become a distributor for equipment (spinning and weaving), the companies I've checked with, require a space to sell from, a space the public can check out the wheels and looms, a space that has hours to be open.  Some of them require more than others - some require an actual store front.  I can't afford a store front at this point in time.  I'm not sure where I'd even WANT a store front.  Would it be in the city?  In the town?  Would it be better near the city so that it's easily accessed?  Or would I get lost in the [city] jungle?  I can't afford $1000/month (and that's a guesstimate) and not get any business, and have to fold in  6 months AND lose all that money.  Do I build the shed and see if people come?  Our little part of the country is really beautiful and it's really only about 35 minutes (or sometimes 45) from the city to here.  The other two studios that are near here (well, near is all relative - they are both at least 45 minutes from me) are both on the side of hills.  One is north, one is south, both away from the city I'm talking about.  I'd be the closest one (that I'm aware of) to the city. 

I wish I had a mentor.  I would love to have someone take me under their wing, and help hold my hand, and say, you need to do this and this and this first.  I have no idea where to even start with what I'd need to pull together, to have a small business storefront. 

I guess starting small, with a shed, on the farm, is the best way to get started....then, if I were to grow, maybe it would be possible to actually have a real studio, somewhere people shop. 

If anyone out there has any experience building a studio business, I'd be interested in hearing your ideas.

I hope everyone is enjoying their Memorial Day weekend. 

Always,
Martha

3 comments:

Judee said...

Have you checked with your city/county for permits and any licenses you need? I admire your enthusiasm. I hope it works out.

Kimberly said...

What part of Virginia will your shop maybe in in? I live in Roanoke, VA

Peggy said...

I hear you Martha! I feel the same way with my art work.
Big Cyber Hugs to you :)