Thursday, April 4, 2013

What's New?

Well, let me tell ya.  I've been one busy girl.  I decided to do jump in with both feet.  Yeah, well, that's me.
I applied to, and was accepted by, the Powhatan Festival of Fiber.  You can find out all about it here.  Now, I'm freaking out.
I've been dyeing fiber - and having nervous breakdowns.
I've been blending batts on my little blending board.  Love what comes out, but OMG, it takes me forever to do 3 batts that come out to 3-4 ounces all together.  S.L.O.W. going.

I ordered 45 pounds of fiber from Ashland Bay.  Wholesale.  $800 worth.  Holy cow!  Some is ecru, ready to be dyed.  Some is commercially dyed.  I've been blending some of the commercially dyed, and will sell some. 

There is fiber all over the house.  Upstairs, downstairs.  Hubby decided he didn't like everything sitting just inside the front door.  When you walked in, there is my wheel, bags of fiber, blending board, carrying case for supplies for wheel if I go byebye with it.  He found a place in the "office" for some of it.  Sorry honey.  I don't mean to make a mess.  It's just really hard to have stuff downstairs. 

Today I did some computer stuff, research (supplies).  Hubby set up the tent (didn't tell me till it was done) outside to test it out.  I went downstairs and he surprised me.  We decided to give it a try.  I have almost everything I need to have a decent tent.  Hey, it's 10' x 10'.  I need more product, and tablecloths.  I have to cut the bottom off my banner because I have a new website (website), and the old one is on the banner.  That's okay though.  The banner could be shorter.  So it's all good.  Here is a sneak peak of the tent.
The banner will hang in the center back.  I do wish it was a white tent, but the olive drab tan is all they had.  I needed a tent.  So there it is. 
There are 2 racks on the left that I picked up several years ago at A.C. Moore craft store.  LOVE them.  The one on the right is one I found at a junk place up the road - the place is packed SO tightly you can hardly move around.  But it's perfect to hang my few hand-made items on. 
Yesterday, I visited my friend Jan, who is moving back to New York where she's from. She is here for a couple of weeks, and is cleaning out her house. She had these awesome baskets in her attic that have never been used.  They are really beautiful baskets.  I'm going to put some plain fabric in them to line them, and use them to put fibers in.  I think they'll look awesome.  Here's a better photo.

The baskets have leather handles.  Classy! 




Here is another photo

I think if you click on the photo it might enlarge....

Here is a photo of the other side and baskets which are different.

Left side of tent.  The basket on the left is sitting at an angle inside another basket.  The one on the right is another really nice basket.


See that hanging shelf in the back corner?  We're moving it from there but it's plastic and it folds up for easy transport.  I had that already too. 



It's kinda like I've been preparing for this for years.  It's a dream I've had for a long time.  To become an artist, and be able to sell my art at fairs.  I had NO idea it would be fiber arts.  I knew my dream would come true though.

To be honest, I'm scared to death that no one will buy anything, and that if they do, something will be wrong with it.  I'm just so unsure.  But ya know, if I don't try, I'll never know, right? 

I have a LOT to do.  Photographing.  Labeling.  Bagging and tagging.  Making more yarn.  Making more batts.  Buying tablecloths.  Fixing my banner.  Finishing more product that is not fiber, but fiber related. 

Did I mention, the festival is on April 27th?  2013.  Yeah, that's exactly 23 days from now.  That gives me 22 days to prepare.  Holy cow!  What have I gotten myself into????? 

I spent Monday and Tuesday dyeing fiber, and ended up with such a sore back, I could hardly move.  I'm better today.  Thank goodness for massage machines, and Arnica. 

As I said, LOTS more to do.  Wish me luck.
If you're in Virginia on April 27th, come on out and see us. 

Take care,
Martha

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so proud of you!!

Kimberly said...

I wish you all of the success in the world! I was hoping to attend the festival and I even thought about applying to be a vendor! It would be my first event as a vendor also. Unfortunately I was scheduled to work and I could not find a co-worker willing to switch days with me. Plus, I would also have to buy a tent!

Peggy said...

You go girl! I'm extremely happy for you and EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE!!!