Sunday, April 28, 2013

My First Vending Experience

Well hello there!  I bet you thought I'd disappeared forever, eh?  Nope, not me.  I've just been SO frantic busy preparing for my first fiber festival.  Powhatan's Festival of Fiber was a great success!  This was it's induction year, first time, and I must say, all of my fears of no one showing up or purchasing, were smashed to pieces!  Yes, that's a GREAT thing!
We live about an hour and a half away from the venue, and the plan was, to leave by 6:30 (latest) and my hope was, to be out around 6:15.  Well, we left around 6:35, and had to make 2 stops after just starting out - mostly because I was following hubby while he drove the pickup truck, and stuff was flapping and flying in the back.  He stopped to move a couple of the not-so-secure things into the front of the truck, and off we went. 
We were almost there, and I called hubby on the celly telly and told him I needed a pit stop.  Although we left later than I'd hoped, and made 3 unexpected stops along the way, we still arrived in ample time to set up and get things ready.
My nerves were all over the place, and I kept talking to myself all the way there, and tried not to freak out too much.....
We immediately set up the tent, tables, and racks to hang things from.  We ran into a couple of snags, but we worked them out, and we made note of what works, and what needs to be tweaked - in case we decide to do this again.
At first, I found myself going in circles, literally, as I'd be doing something, he'd ask me something, I'd look for something, and try to go back to doing what I was doing, standing in place, going in circles.  I actually got dizzy at one point.
Setup was allowed until 9:30, then all vehicles had to be off the field, leaving another 30 minutes to tweak and finish setting up the booth.
We did it!  We got it all set up. 





The weather was perfect.  It was sunny most of the day, it got to about 72 degrees, there was a slight breeze that came up now and then.  In the afternoon, some clouds moved in which cut the sun, and that was okay because since we had no sides on the tent, the sun was beating in which caused some condensation on the fiber that was in plastic bags.  We had to start scooting everything around, in order to keep it out of the sun.  

 We did a really brisk business too.  We haven't counted up the sales yet, but I tell ya, it wasn't half bad.  I am very happy with the results.  We learned a lot, and if we decide to continue doing this, we have some tweaking to do, and a lot of decisions to make as to what direction we want to go in.

For now, I need to get everything out (when we were done, we just dumped everything instead of sorting through and being neat about it), check my inventory (which is something else I need to figure out - a better inventory system) and spend a LOT of time updating my website and trying to get some of the things I didn't sell at the show, sold online.

That's it from me for now, but I'll be back more regularly.
Thanks for checking in and have yourself a wonderful day.
Always,
Martha



3 comments:

Judee said...

So glad it went well. All those fears for nothing. Better you than me doing something like that.

Kimberly said...

I'm glad to hear that you were successful! I am going to be headed out to my second venue to sell my handspun yarns in June. It is a lot to keep up with!

AJ (The Quilting Pot Podcast) said...

So glad it went well for you. You had some gorgeous things out there! If I had attended, some of your items would have definitely come home with me. Tweak your system and get out and do more.

AJ